Thursday, January 9, 2014

Laptop Tote

I guess it's past time to share my Christmas sewing! First up is a laptop tote I sewed for a special family. I used this Laptop Bag pattern from Aivilo Charlotte to make a custom-fit bag.

I love the bow detail on the front


The bag is a basic tote, with a bow detail on the front and an elasticated pocket on the back. It's made to fit the laptop but there was enough ease to get it in and out easily.



It was a pretty straightforward sew, but I made a few adjustments. First, I decided to use velcro instead of a covered button. I didn't have a big enough button that I liked and I thought the elastic loop would look too homemade. I have some magnetic snaps but didn't want to use them for a computer bag. (I had a sad incident back in the 90's where I erased the entire contents of a 3.5" floppy when I set it on my hard drive. Lesson learned--for life!). I stitched the Velcro close to the top and there is still plenty of room to fit the computer inside.

The back pocket was perfect for the cord


The measurements for the back pocket elastic pulled the sides of the bag in too much (which you can see in the pattern listing, so I made mine longer. The pocket still stays shut and the back keeps it's shape better.

Here you can see the velcro a bit better, along with the fun lining



I used a fun print on the inside. I love it and wanted to use it for the outside, but you take a chance when you sew for others so I used the more conservative polka dots as the main fabric.

This picture shows the laptop in the bag (the first photo showed the
bag empty). I was pleased with the nice,slim fit.


I looked at a lot of different bags to find just the style I liked. I wanted something that was just meant to hold the laptop, would be easy to open and close, had room for the cord, wasn't bulky, and was cute.  This fit the bill perfectly and the calculations to make a custom fit were clear and easy to follow. The instructions were a bit confusing to me, but maybe that's because I've been sewing mostly clothes lately. Overall I'm very pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...