Luckily for her, she found these really cute chick faces at Lynnie Pinnie. The towels are for a boy/girl set of twins, so I got to stitch both the girly face and the boy face.
|Both designs can be found here|
I used knits for the applique fabric and loved it. They lay much nicer than the woven fabrics I've used on towels. The only thing I didn't like was that I had to do a lot of resizing to get the designs to match. The girl face is a lot smaller than the boy face, because of the flower. I believe I used the boy 5x7 design at 82% and the girl 6x10 design at 110%, moving the flower so that it would fit in a 5x7 hoop. The end result was that all the features they have in common are the same size (unlike in my pictures).
Those faces were so cute that I was happy to stitch them out, but I really got excited about the project when my sister sent me the link to a duck tail design.
|I used the font "Fudge" from 8 Claws & a Paw|
I resized the tail to 150%, crossing my fingers because that's more than I should have increased it (and it was from a site I had never purchased from before.) I removed the fill stitches that were in the center of the tail design and just did the satin stitch, which I thought ended up looking pretty neat. Then I added the names in 1-inch letters, at 120% I think. (Wouldn't you know it, I threw my notes away. Man, I am off my game today!) I put the tails & names on the back of the towel, a few inches up from the bottom. I think they turned out so cute!
|My model is off her game today too--|
this is the best picture we got :)
If you're interested in making a hooded towel--they're super easy--check out the tutorial on Cole's Corner & Creations.