Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer Maxi Dress

I took advantage of a bundle at Violette Field Threads a little while back and picked up the Emmaline maxi dress. The chevron dress used as the cover photo is darling, though I haven't jumped on that trend yet.


The length of the 3T was
perfect for my 3 year old


It's a sweet dress with a ruffled, bias-bound halter neckline, elastic at the back, and 3 rows of (optional) ruffles at the bottom.  I used about half of a queen-sized sheet I found at the thrift store for this dress.



Though in general I dislike halter styles on little girls, the coverage this dress offers everywhere else still makes it seem modest to me.  If I make it again, I will use longer elastic for the back, since it's a little snug on my super slim daughter and tends to ride down a bit because of it.


Side view--it's got a nice amount
of fullness in the skirt


The ruffles all share the same top edge which makes them a little thick for gathering, but it's worth the trade off of only having to gather one time.  The bottom edges of the ruffles are just a plain serged finish (not even a rolled hem!).

I really like how it turned out, though I don't think maxis are the most practical choice for playing outside :)

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! I'd been wondering about the practicality of maxi dresses for playtime, but they sure are adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...