|See how docile he looks?|
We were able to get ahold of a Thundershirt and I traced it and marked all the Velcro positions. I used 3/4" and 1 1/2" Velcro, though I think the actual shirts use 2" for the wider strips. I cut up some old t-shirts I had to make a muslin for Norman. The actual Thundershirt is made from a rayon/poly/spandex blend, but the t-shirts worked just fine. I forgot to flip the pattern when I cut the second side out, so the two straps that go around his chest (one is long and one is shorter) are reversed from the real deal, but it doesn't matter.
|Norman doesn't care what it's made of or if I goofed, |
as long as it's comfortable :)
The bright green shirt is a men's 3XL and I could cut the entire piece out of it. The yellow I used for the underside was a women's L and I had to sew a seam where the chest straps meet the main body because the shirt wasn't big enough to cut it all in one piece. Norman is a size "medium", for reference. It could be cut out of a yard of knit (assuming 60" wide).
The shirt is just two pieces of knit sewn right sides together, then flipped right side out and cover-stitched (I used a twin needle instead since I bought a new sewing machine rather than a coverstitch). It has straps that Velcro around the body and around the chest, and the flap you can see in the picture above is to cover up the exposed Velcro. It's a pretty neat design, but $40 was out of my MIL's budget. This homemade version took about $6 worth of Velcro and works just as good!