So I have sewn off and on for about 20 years and I had never made a pillowcase dress until I sewed my daughter one earlier this summer. I always scoffed at the cheaply-made, overpriced versions I saw at craft fairs, being a bit of a sewing snob about the whole thing. All that changed when I got halfway through cutting out a nightgown for her and decided I didn't want to use up my fabric. Because it turns out that the body of her nightgowns (minus the sleeves) is exactly the same as the pieces needed for a pillowcase dress. So I grabbed some white bias tape from my drawers and ended up with this:
|Not too bad for an accident|
I decided after making this dress that I would whip up a bunch more for the summer, as they are perfect for our southern heat and humidity. And they're easy. So I planned a half dozen or so dresses in my head and this is how they turned out:
|All summer in the making|
Nope, I didn't forget any, that's it. I made one. And only because I cut it out about 4 or 5 months ago and didn't want such cute fabric to go to waste. Somehow this simple project, which should only take about 20 minutes--not counting the pockets--took me all week to finish, ugh. Part of it was my two kids. Part of it was that I couldn't get her barrettes to look the way I wanted. I settled for a not-really-matching-red in the interest of moving on. I lose most of her barrettes anyways.
|Cowboy boot barrettes from GG Designs|
I made my own bias tape, which is much nicer to work with than store bought. And cuter too.
|The model's not bad, either|
I used the Pleated Pocket Tutorial from Made-by-Rae to make the pockets. I changed the construction and size a bit, but the end result is pretty much the same. I also found the Pillowcase Dress Tutorial from Little Big Girl Studio to be helpful in constructing the dress, though I drafted the pattern from my absolute favorite tutorial, Indietutes Peasant Top. I am going to have to do a post one of these days to show all the many ways it can be used.