Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Little Aviator

I recently got on a crocheted hat kick which led to a weekend filled with Papa Murphy's pizza (yum!) and lots of hooking.  I guess I failed to mentioned that I was the only girl in middle school making afghans?  Yep, I've been crocheting for more than 20 years, and cross-stitching that long as well.  And I've got fresh baked banana bread and pumpkin rolls in my kitchen as I type this...I'm a regular Betsy Homemaker :)

Anyways, long story short, I saw some photos on Facebook which sent me to Etsy which led me to Michael's and the end result is that I made this little aviator bomber hat for my son.

Here's a sort of front/side/top view


I had to crochet buttons because I couldn't find
any that coordinated well & were big enough




I bought the pattern on Etsy and am fairly pleased with the result.  I don't know if I'm just a bit out of touch with what current crochet patterns are like, but I felt like the pattern could have been more explicit.  It wasn't difficult to follow, by any means, but it wasn't what I was used to.


Chicks dig me because I can fly planes


I think he's adorable, obviously, but the hat would be cuter if I made a bigger size.  In my defense, he is only 5 months old and I made the 6 to 12 month size (based on his measurements and ensuring proper gauge).

He's just got a HUGE noggin


Ah well, it doesn't take long to make one of these so I'll just make a bigger one.  Next time, though, I will use two strands of worsted instead of the bulky yarn.

I love him!


If you're interested, here's how I made the buttons:

Ch 3.  8 hdc in second chain from hook.  Join with sl st, fasten off. (Make 2)

I sewed the buttons onto the front flap, then stitched the flap to the hat when I added the "X" in the center of the button.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...