Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tip: Turning Skinny Straps

It's been bothering me that it's been so long since I've done a tip or technique post.  I have so many ideas for them, but not nearly enough time.  Then I realized I don't need to re-invent the wheel every week--I can share tips I've found on other blogs that I think are helpful! 

There are a number of ways to turn straps and tubes inside out, but it can be hard sometimes, especially if they're really skinny. This super-helpful step-by-step from the blog Handmade Things is the easiest way I've found to turn skinny tubes (like spaghetti straps or button loops) right side out.

I used this when I was making button loops for a top for my nieces.

I ended up hating the top--but loved the buttons!


Basically, you sew your tube, leaving both ends open.  Then you cut a small horizontal slit just below the opening on one end. Stick a bobby pin with one leg through the slit and one through the main tube (it may take a little wrangling).  Then you can slide the bobby pin through the tube and the other end will follow.  Let me know if you try it, I think you will find it works better than other methods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...