Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tip: Pattern Weights

One option for cutting out patterns if you're using a knit (or have a fabric that you don't want to put pins in) is to use pattern weights.  I never heard of this before reading about it on Pattern Review, but it's quite handy, especially if you also use a rotary cutter instead of scissors.

There are some really cute options, like these, and it would be really simple to make some pretty ones using fabric and washers.  But, if you're looking for a quick and dirty (and free if you have a well-stocked pantry) solution I suggest tuna cans*.  And Mexicorn**.

Even handier since I cut knits on my kitchen counter!


The piece shown in the picture above is the bodice for the dress I'm making myself.  Here's a better picture of the fabric I'm using.

I love the colors and it feels so nice
 
As for the pattern--I'm attempting to make Simplicity 3503, the long view with short sleeves.

*Tuna cans are especially nice since they are low profile (aka short).  You can put them near the pattern's edge and it's easier to get around them than a full-sized can.
**Mexicorn is taller than a tuna can, but a little heavier, so it's nice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...